Domination of Clash of the Titans - Gemma Arterton

'Clash of the Titans' dominates the world

In 60 markets around the world, the epic action-adventure held the No. 1 spot for the fourth week at more than 10,000 screens with 64 percent of tickets from 3D theaters, according to entertainment publication The Hollywood Reporter.

In the US, Titans had dropped to sixth place, a month after its release. Overall, it was a slow box office with the lackluster performance of new films The Back-Up Plan and The Losers.


Gemma Arterton interview - star of Prince Of Persia, Titans & The Disappearance Of Alice Creed

Having broken through as Strawberry Fields in the last Bond outing, 2008's dour Quantum Of Solace, Arterton certainly has something of the young Rachel Weisz about her. With two big Hollywood blockbusters out this year - the recent, abysmal Clash Of The Titans, and the upcoming videogame adaptation Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time - right now, in stark contrast, there's the gritty British indie offering The Disappearance Of Alice Creed.

PAUL BYRNE: You've said that you were attracted to The Disappearance Of Alice Creed because it was "something that was getting down and dirty", pointing out that you "got tied up, beaten, and there's nudity". I'm sure your agent must have flung his cappuccino out the window over this one...

GEMMA ARTERTON: Yeah, it doesn't look like the wisest career move on paper, but I loved the fact that it gave me a chance to work in such a low-budget, pressure cooker kind of movie. This was an intense shoot, and pretty much the complete opposite to something like Clash Of The Titans and Prince Of Persia. Not just in its storyline and genre, but in the way that it was shot. It's a first-time director, just three actors - and Eddie and Martin were amazing - and this incredibly inventive script. It was an incredible experience.


Gemma Arterton discusses Clash of the Titans

Following on from the success of Avatar, Clash of the Titans is the latest 3D epic to make it to the big screen.

The movie is directed by Louis Leterrier and has a cast which includes Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes.

At the film's world premiere in London, British actress Gemma Arterton spoke to Lizo Mzimba about her role in the re-telling of a classic Greek story.

All talk

Wander into your local Enormoplex and you can catch her in the noisy 3D epic Clash of the Titans . On the way to the concessions counter, you may pass a huge cardboard Gemma as the princess in an upcoming video-game adaptation Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time . Next week she appears in a tasty little British thriller called The Disappearance of Alice Creed .

Meanwhile, Arterton stares moodily from a dozen magazine covers. “Oh yes, with my slightly closed eyes,” she says. “I honestly can’t describe what this experience is like. When I do anything related to press, I have to put on a persona. I think I am natural in interviews. But I am not comfortable with shoots. I play a part on the red carpet. I play a part before the photographer. Sometimes, when I see myself on a magazine, I don’t recognise that it’s me.” Arterton remembers an excruciating moment when her dad happened upon a saucy shoot she did for GQ magazine. Her chest tightened as he began leafing through ever more revealing snaps. “I yelled: ‘Oh don’t look at that.’ But I had to just make it clear to him that I was playing a part.”

“I am from a very normal background. As I say, nobody had actually done anything like this before in my family,” she says. “Then the Bond film came and my parents were very excited but, you know, they got over it very quickly. They only got round to seeing Clash of the Titans the other day. My mum’s really not that into films. They are proud, but quietly proud.”

“A lot of people cautioned me against doing it because it is tough stuff. But when I met J, he reassured me he was going to cast it properly and that it could be a brilliant, risky film.”

Her indiscretions come when she compares this cannily balanced, shoestring production with the more showy films – Clash of the Titans and Prince of Persia in particular – that bookend its release.

Gemma Arterton catch in beach

Comments

Popular Posts