Meryl Streep Wins Best Actress in 84th Annual Academy Awards For 'The Iron Lady'

It is Meryl Streep won her third Oscar in 1979 for her supporting role in "Kramer vs. Kramer" and best actress in 1983 for "Choice Sophie's." Her nomination for "The Iron Lady" was her 17th, the most by an actor in film history. she has 13 nominations in the 29 years since their last victory.

"When they called my name, I had this feeling I could hear half of America going, 'Oh no, come on. Her? Again?' But, whatever," Meryl Streep joked from the podium.

Before the ceremony, the race looked like a two way struggle between the Golden Globe-winner Streep and Davis, who walked away with the Screen Actors Guild Award for best actress. But Davis was by far the leader. Her film "Help", was nominated the most successful of all movies in the category Best Actress, and she was the only candidate that film has also been nominated for Best Picture.

Meryl Streep even hugged her former co-star Davis on his way to the podium. The two were both nominated - Streep for best actress and supporting actress for Davis, for their part in 2008, "Doubt".

"First, I'm going to thank Don, because when you thank your husband at the end of the speech, they play him out with the music, and I want him to know that everything I value most in our lives, you've given me," a teary-eyed Streep said.

Comments

Popular Posts